This is a simple template for a document control procedure as part of ISO9001 requirments , it can be adopted to suite the organization requirements
this procedure describes the process steps of creating document, these steps are writing , reviewing, approving, distribution, updating, disposal
This procedure is applied to all [organization name] departments/ sites
List all participants in doing actions in this procedure
List all abbr. / terms used in this procedure
The owner(s) (position) who shall implement this procedure
F- Process description
– Documentation Hierarchy
L1 : Manuals
L2: Procedure , Agreements
L3: Work Instruction , Q-Standard ,Inspection instruction and process Sheet
L4: Form, Inspection Plan , Control Plan , Checklist , Drawing , Material Specs
– Laws / Regulation
• Material Specifications
The document may be a hard copy or an electronic media
Establishing document and data is the responsibility of department head, and according to quality representative recommendations.
The document shall describe who/why/when/where/ how the document will be implemented.
Document shall mention clearly when the process start, and when it ends.
According to the nature of the operation process, owner shall define the level of details required to be mentioned in the document.
Procedure / Work instruction, inspection instruction should follow the following structure:
- Abbrv. / Terms
- Detailed description of the process
- Supporting Documents
Coding Of Document
– All documents shall take a unique identification code number. The Code Number for the document is used as a reference to this document.
– Coding the documents is the responsibility of document control.
Review and approval of document
– Owner gets the code for his document from DC
– The respective manager reviews and confirms the document
– Owner sends the confirmed document (hard copy , Soft copy via E-mail) to DC
– DC reviews the structure of the document.
– DC sends the document to QR for final review, and approval .
Distribution of Documents
– DC registers approved documents in the Master Document list, mentioning the version of the document
– Notification email and / or pdf document shall be sent to all users by DC
– Amendment of the document may be because of change in the process, specification update, or audit requirement for continuous improvement
– All changes shall be implemented by the owner, who established the document. Before any changes are issued, the establisher shall first agree with all concerned departments.
– After changing the document, the steps of issuing the document shall be followed
At any time the owner of the process decided to cancel the working procedure, he shall notify DC with the decision and the proper justification
DC shall inform the concerned parties, and withdraw the cancelled document.
• Master Document List